An introductory blog: Rosa Prieto

Hi esteemed reader! I am the new Textiles Program Field Coordinator! While in Peru for the next six months I will be writing two blogs a month about my experiences. I hope you enjoy my perspectives and stories!

The news that I would be spending the winter in Peru came at an unlikely time in an unlikely place. My three girlfriends and I were headed southward from the Yukon back to British Columbia after a fun-filled hiking trip. We made a pit stop at the Prince George public library and I checked my email. I was soon dancing around and expressing my excitement with a variety of words like, “Yippee and yes!” A nearby librarian took note and inquired as to what the good news was. I grinned and told her I just got an internship working in Peru from November to April!

Hiking in the Yukon: the light shimmer on the ground is
 a sprinkling of fresh snow!
I am an undergrad student at the University of Victoria majoring in Environmental Studies and Spanish. I grew up in Canada with my mother and started visiting my father in Mexico as an adolescent. These first visits to Mexico later became my inspiration for studying Spanish in University and now working with Mosqoy in Peru.

In addition to my responsibilities as Textile Program Field Coordinator I will be doing research for a Directed Study through the University of Victoria Environmental Studies Department entitled: Ethnobotany Practicum on plant dyes in Peru. This research will start in January and it will be incorporated into my blog posts!

At the moment, I am visiting family in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Here the desert is in full bloom, with butterflies and hummingbirds darting from cactus to cactus. My time in San Miguel has been relaxing and rejuvenating, and in roughly a week I will hop on another plane and step foot on Peruvian soil for the first time!

A photo of a cactus in flower in San Miguel de Allende, México.
Stay tuned for my next post: Initial impressions of Cuzco!

Comments

Popular Posts